Saturday, June 22, 2013

Across Nebraska  & Colorado, and up Trail Ridge road


Friday night we found out motel without any problem, right off of hwy 80 in Lincoln Nebraska. Lincoln is a beautiful little town, with a unique city hall that dominates the landscape (if you can ignore the 3 immense stadiums).
Friday night it's super busy with tourists and locals. No place to park on the street.
I'd reserved a room in the cheapest motel in Lincoln at the cheapest price. I got what I expected with a room next to the ice machine and an air conditioner that kept me up all night.

I usually read during the drive, but lord I was sleepy. We had a great time listening to Julia Sweeney's live performance audiobook, "Letting go of god". We had about 2 hours of amazing discussion afterward. Then a David Sedaris audio book, always fun.
http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B002V1JQ8I&qid=1371966595&sr=1-1
We found our camp ground around 4:00. After setting up for an hour, we headed straight up hwy 24 towards Estes park. Vicki has never taken this route, and it was a joy watching her in awe of the constantly incredible views.
When we got up above tree line, she was kind of freaked out by the roads literally 2 feet from the edge of suicidal cliffs, with no guard rails. There are only these 10 foot wooden poles, and they're just there to show the snow plows where the road went in the Winter.
Finally at the top, we took a hike. At 12,200 feet, I almost passed out at the beginning... and several times during.
Vicki and I hiked to the same place that, 6 years ago, I proposed to her, and she accepted.
The sun set at the top of trail ridge road, and we went back to Estes Park for a little dinner, then back to Loveland, where Vicki is peacefully asleep next to a burbling river, and I'm finally finished typing this at midnight.
Tomorrow, settling into camp, and our first real hike.


No comments:

Post a Comment